Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Virginians on TJP

Virginians on TJP

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: Virginians on TJP

Postby AJBryant » Mon 06.11.2007 4:05 pm

the Beltway around DC is the worst place in the world to drive. I-95 and all the other 95's are a huge parking lot most of the time and when traffic is going, it's full of people that just can't quite figure out how to drive.

There's gotta be something wrong with a system when a major section of it is widely, and semi-officially, referred to as "the mixing bowl."

Personally, I would rather use the term "Cuisinart."

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby tanuki » Mon 06.11.2007 4:59 pm

I feel excluded by this thread. I'm starting my own thread for non-virgins.

...or something like that. ;)
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 06.11.2007 5:31 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:
I used to have a high opinion of Virginia, especially with Richmond having been our nation's capital and all that. But then I had to pass through there quite often as a truck driver and my opinion of Virginia has suffered greatly as a result.

the Beltway around DC is the worst place in the world to drive.

I won't dispute you, but my opinion of Virginia suffering as a result of trucking through there has nothing to do with the road/traffic conditions.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby HeyItsMatt » Mon 06.11.2007 5:35 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:
I used to have a high opinion of Virginia, especially with Richmond having been our nation's capital and all that. But then I had to pass through there quite often as a truck driver and my opinion of Virginia has suffered greatly as a result.

I won't dispute you, but my opinion of Virginia suffering as a result of trucking through there has nothing to do with the road/traffic conditions.

What's giving you the bad impression then? I won't be offended, I'm just interested.
-Matt
HeyItsMatt

Postby Teh_Freak » Mon 06.11.2007 5:36 pm

Mike Cash wrote:

Try living in the area I live in, Southpark Mall has had about three "riots" since I've worked at the theatre there; seems nobody in this area knows how to talk out problems either, I hear the police sirens almost every day.
リモコンがどこに置きましたか?
Teh_Freak

Postby Gan » Mon 06.11.2007 6:06 pm

Roanoke is like the 3rd dangerous city in virginia, it sucks! i hate it. lol.. bristol, i've been there. lol i've lived in so many places in virginia.. ITS SICKENING!

you know, i half expected this thread to be locked for being TOO off topic and unfair to other users who are not virginians..
Last edited by Gan on Mon 06.11.2007 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gan

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 06.12.2007 1:29 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:

I was assuming you were referring to the way people drive. So, what is it that made your opinion change. I would think as a truck driver, it would be directly or indirectly linked to the traffic..
two_heads_talking

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 06.13.2007 5:18 am

Nope. My opinion has to do with the sh*tty treatment Virginia law enforcement gives to truckers. Just pop into any local truck stop and ask a few random drivers what they think about it.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 06.13.2007 9:51 am

I have a very low opinion of Virginia Law Enforcement as well. I don't need to go to a truck stop to know the Law here is whack.
two_heads_talking

Postby katafei » Fri 06.15.2007 7:01 pm

tanuki wrote:
I feel excluded by this thread. I'm starting my own thread for non-virgins.

...or something like that. ;)

At least I know where Bolivia lies :)

Virginia? No idea. I think in the south of the states?
(Oh, be fair! How many Americans can pinpoint the Netherlands without a map??)
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby ghosthacker » Fri 06.15.2007 8:48 pm

zengargoyle wrote:
"Don't tread on me" state represent! i have to claim a bit of exemption, i left Virginia in 1987 and rarely ever go back if at all possible.... but born and raised in Bristol, down on the Virginia/Tennessee border, birthplace of country music...

don't know where Japanese fits into all of this....

Holy Crap Batman.

I was born in Bristol Tenn. and lived for 10 years on the Virginia side :)

As the sign use to say.."its a great place to live"..lol
ghosthacker

Postby zengargoyle » Fri 06.15.2007 11:09 pm

ghosthacker wrote:
Holy Crap Batman.
I was born in Bristol Tenn. and lived for 10 years on the Virginia side :)
As the sign use to say.."its a great place to live"..lol

it's A Good Place to Live...
muahahaha...

VA High Bearcats, class of '87. i was born in Johnsonborough TN, raised on the VA side, moved to VA side long before i can remember.... stayed until graduation and left, and rarely return, (i'll be back in town 7/2-7/9 if you're still there....). my father's side of the family has a geographical feature named after them around the Abington/Saltville area, there's a "zengargoyle's Gap", with a family farm from back to the early 1800's at least, including an old "family graveyard"...

I tend to think everybody is younger than me, if you went to VA High, you might have gone to school with my little sister, and i would guarantee that some teachers would still remember me....

feel my pain brother/sister.... i'll be back in Bristol for a week, catching up with old friends, teachers who are still there, and family that will never leave the area, and trying to understand my family's accent...
zengargoyle

Postby ghosthacker » Sat 06.16.2007 5:45 am

hahaha...thanks for the link! (Yeah, I do feel your pain :) Sometimes it can be hard to understand what folks in that region are saying after you have been gone for awhile..lol)

Now Bristol does have its good points...good racing, if you like Nascar and drag racing, and good Bass fishing.

But I must admit I do miss being able to hop down to the corner store, barefoot, and get a "pop" outta the pop machine.(this was back in the late 60's early 70's when "pop" cost all of 15 cents)

Ahh the good old days of my childhood :D
Last edited by ghosthacker on Sat 06.16.2007 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
ghosthacker

Postby pokopenian » Sun 06.17.2007 9:23 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:

the Beltway around DC is the worst place in the world to drive. I-95 and all the other 95's are a huge parking lot most of the time and when traffic is going, it's full of people that just can't quite figure out how to drive. Personally I thinks it's all the diplomats and their kids that cause the problems because they can't read English. And with them having diplomatic immunity they do whatever they want.. (yeah that's a harsh thought, but it's basically true.. sad, but true)

I personally hate the Freeway system. I will drive backroads to avoid the Freeway if I can. IF it takes an extra hour, it's ok with me. besides, all the cool stuff is on the back roads.

I know! I live around there too and I'm so used to the traffic jams that i was blown away when I drove to South carolina with my friend and there was no traffic at all!

two_heads_talking wrote:
I have a very low opinion of Virginia Law Enforcement as well. I don't need to go to a truck stop to know the Law here is whack.

I agree. Police are horrible here.
pokopenian

Postby Rypermanji » Sun 06.17.2007 11:45 pm

tonystighthole wrote:
ruuuuflz biitch when i first saww diz thread in ze newest threads is thought iz said virgins on the joopanese pooj, thatz be all you fukkahs, except tony, he got iz tight hole ripped apart by biggg black mannn

That.....hurt my brain.

Virginian here too. Small world huh?
グラディスが大好きだよ!
Rypermanji

PreviousNext

Return to General off topic