Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Homosexuality in Japan?

Homosexuality in Japan?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

RE: Homosexuality in Japan?

Postby john2 » Sun 07.09.2006 3:10 am

Mariya wrote:
Rock artists who act pretty gay at concerts and stuff.

Yeah I've noted that too. Miyavi and Gackt concerts tend to give that away. ;)

There seems to be alot of support in yaoi/yuri anime too, I mean nobody out there seems to complain do they. Even in straight anime, they slide in a bit of the gay stuff. Makes you think...
its for the fan boys wheal that my quees couse i actually like it i think its sexy when to japanese men kiss (:D) espeically in anime
User avatar
john2
 
Posts: 480
Joined: Tue 10.18.2005 5:32 pm

RE: Homosexuality in Japan?

Postby TrilinguisT » Sun 07.09.2006 4:14 am

Hmm... im indifferent about the gay/lesbian issue. personally, i think it's discusting but at the same time i am tolerant and think to myself:: it's their life, their choice, their upbringing that made them that way, so paying it mind and physically being ANTI-gay is just ridiculous. afterall, its not in one's place to be telling another how to live one's life.
i guess japan has high tolerance for such things? I read somewhere, japan was the only society that didnt hang/burn homosexuals in the past, like ancient times.
Last edited by TrilinguisT on Sun 07.09.2006 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
TrilinguisT
 
Posts: 565
Joined: Sun 03.05.2006 11:48 pm

RE: Homosexuality in Japan?

Postby keatonatron » Sun 07.09.2006 8:00 am

TrilinguisT wrote:
I read somewhere, japan was the only society that didnt hang/burn homosexuals in the past, like ancient times.


Um, does that include Greece, where making love to a young boy was considered more pure than making love to a woman?
User avatar
keatonatron
 
Posts: 4838
Joined: Sat 02.04.2006 3:31 am
Location: Tokyo (Via Seattle)
Native language: English
Gender: Male

RE: Homosexuality in Japan?

Postby taku » Sun 07.09.2006 9:08 am

in some anime and manga there are gay people.
an example:
Naruto : Gay-sensei
User avatar
taku
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu 07.14.2005 2:16 pm

RE: Homosexuality in Japan?

Postby Budomaru » Sun 07.09.2006 9:28 am

TrilinguisT wrote:
it's their life, their choice, their upbringing that made them that way, so paying it mind and physically being ANTI-gay is just ridiculous. afterall, its not in one's place to be telling another how to live one's life.


thing is, it usually isnt their upbringing or personal preference that makes them homosexual :P so maybe its not just a matter of accepting different opinion but different kinds of people in general, however strange they may seem at first sight.

keatonatron wrote:
TrilinguisT wrote:
I read somewhere, japan was the only society that didnt hang/burn homosexuals in the past, like ancient times.


Um, does that include Greece, where making love to a young boy was considered more pure than making love to a woman?


that is not entirely accurate. older-younger male relationships in ancient greece were more like the sempai-kouhai relationships in japan (and other such relationships in history). it wasnt considered more pure and it wasnt really considered homosexuality in the sense we think of it today.

this kind of relationship was a teacher-student one, but deeper, involving teaching the student in all sides of life, including sexuality. though it also has a lot to do with the emotional connection between teacher and student, that was expressed/embodied in this manner. lets not forget that even though this form of homosexuality was widely accepted, sex between grown men wasnt considered the same. most, if not almost all, adults were normal heterosexuals. and all this isnt from a greek source, its from Badinter's book :P most greek sources, especially school-related ones, will never claim homosexuality was part of ancient greek culture (just like they claim greece never made imperialistic wars lol :P the wonders of selective education....). this ofcourse has made it very hard for the average greek to accept, which is obvious by the public's reaction to the homosexual scenes and hints in "Alexander".

taku wrote:
in some anime and manga there are gay people.
an example:
Naruto : Gay-sensei


its "Gai" not "gay" and homosexuals in japan arent really referred to with the word "gay" anyway, as far as i know. furthermore, there is no indication of homosexuality in the character.

or were you just kidding? :P
You know you've been hanging around a forum too long when people start quoting you and agreeing :P
User avatar
Budomaru
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun 10.09.2005 5:38 am

RE: Homosexuality in Japan?

Postby keatonatron » Sun 07.09.2006 10:15 am

Budomaru wrote:
homosexuals in japan arent really referred to with the word "gay" anyway, as far as i know.


It's used pretty often, actually.
User avatar
keatonatron
 
Posts: 4838
Joined: Sat 02.04.2006 3:31 am
Location: Tokyo (Via Seattle)
Native language: English
Gender: Male

RE: Homosexuality in Japan?

Postby Budomaru » Sun 07.09.2006 2:02 pm

come on, dont mess with my posts, i had a clear roll there :P

in any case, that name is "gai" not "gei"
You know you've been hanging around a forum too long when people start quoting you and agreeing :P
User avatar
Budomaru
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun 10.09.2005 5:38 am

RE: Homosexuality in Japan?

Postby TrilinguisT » Sun 07.09.2006 9:48 pm

keatonatron wrote:
Budomaru wrote:
homosexuals in japan arent really referred to with the word "gay" anyway, as far as i know.


It's used pretty often, actually.


its not okama?
User avatar
TrilinguisT
 
Posts: 565
Joined: Sun 03.05.2006 11:48 pm

RE: Homosexuality in Japan?

Postby oKawa » Sun 07.09.2006 11:28 pm

I don't think you can compare the to countries. I western society is a little more uptight about that because of bible influences. I don't think it's an issue in Japan.

When I was in Iwakui we when to a "gay" bar. Their were lots of "straight" people there and everyone was just enjoying themselves. It's not all about sex.B)
oKawa
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat 06.24.2006 7:01 pm

RE: Homosexuality in Japan?

Postby Poe » Sun 07.09.2006 11:58 pm

when dealing with a child, it is very important for the state to at least provide it with the best acceptable environment in which to grow up. if both its parents are of the same sex, there could be serious psychological effects on the child - which are simply because it wont experience an environment like 99% of other kids grow up in (and which is culturally well-founded). it may have serious difficulty establishing its sexual identity and difficulty learning social behaviours.


Actually there is no evidence that having same sex parents has any negative effects on children or that there is any significant difference in the way they turn out at all. Children raised by same sex parents are not any more likely to become gay either, although they are less likely to develop stereotypical gender roles and are more open-minded about sexual matters. Homophobia and hostility directed at them and/or their parents may cause the sort of problems you mentioned but it isn't the sexual orientation of the parents that should be blamed.
No.
Poe
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu 07.06.2006 11:54 pm

RE: Homosexuality in Japan?

Postby KINGZ » Mon 07.10.2006 12:11 am

--- ill just edit this one out lol:o
Last edited by KINGZ on Mon 07.10.2006 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
KINGZ
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu 06.22.2006 8:37 am

RE: Homosexuality in Japan?

Postby Infidel » Mon 07.10.2006 12:57 am

Poe wrote:
when dealing with a child, it is very important for the state to at least provide it with the best acceptable environment in which to grow up. if both its parents are of the same sex, there could be serious psychological effects on the child - which are simply because it wont experience an environment like 99% of other kids grow up in (and which is culturally well-founded). it may have serious difficulty establishing its sexual identity and difficulty learning social behaviours.


Actually there is no evidence that having same sex parents has any negative effects on children or that there is any significant difference in the way they turn out at all. Children raised by same sex parents are not any more likely to become gay either, although they are less likely to develop stereotypical gender roles and are more open-minded about sexual matters. Homophobia and hostility directed at them and/or their parents may cause the sort of problems you mentioned but it isn't the sexual orientation of the parents that should be blamed.


I dunno about that. It's bad enough getting home early and walking in on hetero parents when they're getting hot and heavy.....

If my parents were both male, I probably would have found a nice high bridge and jumped off.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
User avatar
Infidel
 
Posts: 3093
Joined: Sun 10.09.2005 1:12 am
Native language: 英語

RE: Homosexuality in Japan?

Postby TrilinguisT » Mon 07.10.2006 2:38 am

Infidel wrote:
Poe wrote:
when dealing with a child, it is very important for the state to at least provide it with the best acceptable environment in which to grow up. if both its parents are of the same sex, there could be serious psychological effects on the child - which are simply because it wont experience an environment like 99% of other kids grow up in (and which is culturally well-founded). it may have serious difficulty establishing its sexual identity and difficulty learning social behaviours.


Actually there is no evidence that having same sex parents has any negative effects on children or that there is any significant difference in the way they turn out at all. Children raised by same sex parents are not any more likely to become gay either, although they are less likely to develop stereotypical gender roles and are more open-minded about sexual matters. Homophobia and hostility directed at them and/or their parents may cause the sort of problems you mentioned but it isn't the sexual orientation of the parents that should be blamed.


I dunno about that. It's bad enough getting home early and walking in on hetero parents when they're getting hot and heavy.....

If my parents were both male, I probably would have found a nice high bridge and jumped off.


I cant even imagine how lost a child would feel around other kids. Children are mean, and anything that differs to them really interests them into making others feel out of place. having parents of the same sex is perfect feul to ruin a child's life from school til graduation or maybe through life. Those gay couples who think about raising kids should take matters such as these seriously and thoroughly before even diciding to adopt. Children are innocent, raising them in an environment beyond what a household should be and putting them through this kind of traumatization should be illegal. they already have the rites to marry (not that i care) but thinking they should recieve the rights to raise children is going a bit to far.
User avatar
TrilinguisT
 
Posts: 565
Joined: Sun 03.05.2006 11:48 pm

RE: Homosexuality in Japan?

Postby Poe » Mon 07.10.2006 11:56 am

I wasn't stating my opinion. I went over this topic in Sociology. I agree that it's a decision that should be very carefully cosidered and you do run the risk of screwing up your kids, but not any more than everyone else. That's a risk everyone takes.
No.
Poe
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu 07.06.2006 11:54 pm

RE: Homosexuality in Japan?

Postby Budomaru » Mon 07.10.2006 1:04 pm

the risk is however much greater with same sex parents. although i dont think two male parents would both behave like most our fathers (for example) it still would be very confusing for a child. i agree the children wouldnt have any trauma simply from having same sex parents, but there is a large amount of social effects it would have on them, very possibly including psychological issues. this possibility is strong enough to avoid legalizing the adoption of children by homosexual couples, at least for as long as society doesnt provide for and accept this function. its true there has to be a start at some point, and sacrifices have to be made, but it still seems a bit too early (though i'd still object to it).

its more about the physical sex really, not sexual orientation in the strict sense. even if both parents are bisexual, if they are of the same sex and identify as the child's parents, there would be issues. its already bad with single mothers and single sex environments in which some children grow up in (living with a father in a male environment which means lots of males and few females, and vice versa) but at least, the environment doesnt actively identify as parents.
You know you've been hanging around a forum too long when people start quoting you and agreeing :P
User avatar
Budomaru
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun 10.09.2005 5:38 am

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests