6. Question Words
By mastering these question words, your conversational skills will be much stronger!
いつ きました か？
- itsu kimashita ka?
- When did you come? [literally "when came?" Notice the "you" is understood.]
どこ から きました か？
- doko kara kimashita ka?
- Where did you come from? [literally "where from came?"]
どうして きました か？
- doushite kimashita ka?
- Why did you come? [literally "why came?"]
- Why? [used in the same way as doushite]
だれが きました か。
- dare ga kimashita ka?
- Who came?
なに を 買いました か。
- nani o kaimashita ka.
- What did you buy?
You can do a lot more with 何, see here.
- Even with the question word a か ka is used. (Except in casual spoken Japanese.)
- The question word is at the beginning, but after the は wa if there is one.
あなた は だれ です か？
- anata wa dare desu ka?
- Who are you? (the question word dare is after the wa)
For more on this please see our "Questions and Question Words" guide.