13. Using ～さん
The equivalent to Mr. or Mrs. or Miss. is ～さん
Right after the name. It is used even with friends. (Even when in English we wouldn't use "Mr.")
- クレイさん (kurei san) - Mr. Clay
- 山田さん (yamada san) - Mr. (or Mrs...) Yamada
- ～さま (sama) - very polite - reserved for royalty, important people, and customers of stores
- ～ちゃん (chan) - used for girls and very young boys (kiti-chan = Hello Kitty)
- ～くん (kun) - used for young boys
- ～先生 (sensei) - used for teachers [クレイ先生 kurei sensei], doctors, and professionals
For now just use san. As you know from watching all the Karate Kid movies, it is the most common.
For more on this see our article on keishou, "敬称 Name Titles".