Love in Japanese
Every language has its share of love related words. Japanese is no exception. Today, let's look at a few (clean) love words! This is for the romantic samurai within us all...
MOOD SETTING: Imagine a young samurai proposing to his kunoichi (female ninja) girlfriend and then setting out on a lonesome road to gain honor and riches for their future life together...
|THE KISS WORDS:|
1) キス kisu - That's right. Its from English! (pronounced key-sue)
sai go no kisu
the last kiss
2) ちゅう chuu - This is the standard Japanese for 'kiss'
USAGE: ちゅう して下さい。 chuu shite kudasai.
'Please give me a kiss.'
3) 口付け kuchi zuke - (lit. mouth + attach)
4) 接吻 seppun - an old-fashion romantic word, but still used
gojira wa seppun shiyou to kiti chan ni chikazuita ga, nigerareta.
Godzilla thought to kiss Hello Kitty and approached her, but she ran away.
|THE OTHER WORDS:|
5) 一目惚れ hito me bore - 'love at first sight'
6) ラブレター rabu reta- - Love letter
USAGE: ラブレターか 果たし状か？
rabu reta- ka, hatashi jou ka?
'Is this a love letter, or a letter of challenge (to battle)?'
|THE LOVE WORDS:|
7) 愛 ai - 'Love'
ai shite iru kara
'Because I love you!'
RELATED WORDS: 愛妻 ai sai (beloved wife - a wife that loves and cares for her husband); 愛妻弁当 aisai bentou - a Bento (lunch box) prepared by one's loving wife)
8) 恋 koi - 'Love'
恋人 koi bito (KOI + (B)HITO person) a lover, boyfriend or girlfriend
恋しい koishii (to miss (something or someone), to yearn for)
9) 好き suki - 'to like' (this is usually pronounced as 'ski' but sometimes the 'U' is pronounced)
anata ga suki
'I like you.' - simple but effective
10) ラブラブ rabu rabu - 'Love Love' (When said this sounds like 'rub rub' but it means two people are in love.)
11) 愛の表現 ai no hyougen - "an expression of love"
sore wa ai no hyougen desu ka?
Is that an expression of love?