Kanji: 九 kyuu nine
JLPT N5: 9 / 100 | 2 Strokes
On: キュウ; ク
Etymology: It looks like a lowercase "n" with a hook kicking out at the end.
- 力 chikara (power) [the foot kicks inside for power but outside for nine.]
- 丸 maru (round) [It is nine 九 with an extra stroke; think of 9 rounding to 10 with that extra stroke]
- 九 nine [きゅう or く]
- 九ヵ月 nine months
- 九月 September [the 9th month]
This is September.
- 今月 this month [notice the pronunciation of 月; it is getsu here but gatsu when part of a month; 今 (now; this) + 月 (month; moon)]
- 九月 September [the months in Japanese are simply a number (1-12) and gatsu]
Study another JLPT N5 Kanji