Kanji: 千 sen 1000
It looks like a 10 [ 十 ] with a slanted line over it. Think of the line as adding two extra 0’s: 1000
JLPT N5: 12 / 100 | 3 Strokes
- ノ (katakana no; a drop)
- 十 (ten)
- Sometimes you have to say "ノ" ten times 十 and sometimes a thousand
- One 一 T is an abbreviation for 1,000
1) top (almost) horizontal line; 2) second horizontal line; 3) the vertical line from top to bottom.
- 千円 sen en – 1000 yen [the 一 ichi becomes “iss” perhaps because it is easier to say than “ichisen.” Also yen is pronounced “en”]
- 三千二百 san zen ni hyaku – 3,200
- 二千年 ni sen nen – the year 2000
kore wa gosen en hodo de kaemasu.
This can be bought for about 5,000 yen.
- これは as for this [the は sets これ (this) as the topic: as for this...]
- 五千円 5,000 yen [very roughly $50 USD]
- ほど about; thereabouts
- で with (about 5,000 yen you are able to buy)
- 買えます able to buy [from 買う (to buy)]