Makoto+ Members, click here to download bonus files (PDF with dialogue + vocab + Sound Files) for this lesson. Not a member, click here to learn more.
Spy x Family スパイファミリー is about a dad who is a spy who, for his mission, adopts a girl and finds a woman willing to pretend to be his wife. The mom is an assassin, and a little girl is a telepath. The father doesn’t know about the mother’s job and the mother doesn’t know about the father’s job. Neither parent knows about the girl’s power. Only the little girl knows all… And she thinks its so cool.
It’s a fun show and one of the most popular anime in Japan right now.
Let’s go over the vocabulary found in the scene
You'll be my daughter starting today, but
周りの人たちには もともとの親子だってことにする 分かったか？
we'll tell people that you're my biological daughter. Okay?
- 周り around (us); the (people) nearby
- の [limits the “people” to those who are “around”]
- 人たち people
- には as for; regarding
- もともとの originally [of course, here, it means “biological”]
- 親子 parent and child [親 (parent) + 子 (child)]
- だ (copula)
- って (quotation marker)
- ことにする (let’s) make; decide upon
- 分かったか do you understand?
- うい Yes [This is Anya’s language; it may be mimicking the French Oui.]
Make sure to call me Father.
- よし good
あら、 かわいいお嬢さんね。 こんにちは
What a cute little girl! Hello.
We're the Forgers. We moved in today.
I'm Anya, my father's daughter for a long time
- うん oh? [うん is a casual way to say “yes” but as a question, it is like a double take. Wait, what?]
Don't say unnecessary things.
While this lesson is free, Makoto+ and Patreon supporters have access to bonus content including a downloadable PDF and sound files. If you are a member, please click here for the bonus content.
Please consider supporting us by becoming a member or patron!