* Out of respect for Mickey's friends, Pluto is included in this list
The shortcut for remembering the planets in Japanese is:
A few points:
- Each planet (except for Earth) ends with 星 which means planet. The stand-alone kun reading for “planet” is 「ほし」.
- Like the days of the week in Japanese, the first few planets (except earth) use the elements water, gold, fire, wood, and dirt.
- The last three planets (if you deny Pluto its planet-ship, then the last two planets…), are king planets 王星.
- Mouse over or tap any kanji to see the furigana.
It’s the closest to the Sun, but despite the name, there is no water 水.
Venus shines in the sky like gold 金.
If you are reading this, chances are you are a 地球人 (earthling).
Think of the Redwood forest with the huge trees 木 (the normal kun reading is 「き」.
In English, “Saturn” starts with "Satur". In Japanese, the first kanji is also the same as the day of the week: 土曜日
You say "Your highness" before the king of heaven 天.
Neptune was the king of the sea 海 (the normal kun reading is 「うみ」.
Pluto was the god of the underworld or Hades. In Japanese, Hades is called 冥界.
Other Related Vocabulary
Outer space; the universe
[notice, it has the same kanji as most of the planet names]
The Milky Way
[This has two somewhat irregular readings. Remember it is 「あま」 and not 「てん」 and the river is 「がわ」]
Don't forget! If you are a Makoto+ member, click here to download your bonus files (Anki flashcard deck, PDF, and sound files). If you aren't a member, click here to learn more.
And here is a quick recap chart:
Closest to the Sun so there is no water 水
Venus shines in the sky like gold
You are a 地球人
The Martians try to destroy earth with fire
Think of the Redwood forest with the huge trees
Saturn starts with "Satur"' just like Saturday (土曜日)
You say "Your highness" before the king
Neptune was the king of the sea (海)
Pluto, the god of the underworld or hades, is called 冥界in Japanese
This video is very old and the audio is choppy. We redid it with the video above, but I'll leave it here just for nostalgia. If you can't get through it, the information is above.
Support us directly and get amazing benefits to help with your language learning.