For upper beginners to intermediates. Listen to the short podcast and then answer the comprehension questions below.
Saint Augustine part two
In the previous podcast, Yumi started to talk about her family trip to St. Augustine. This time she explains the main reason for their trip and why she couldn’t sleep well that night. Listen and #learnJapanese #JapaneseImmersion
- 予約 reservation; booking
- 無効 invalid; void
- 慌てて in a hurry; in haste [fixed phrase]
- 近場 nearby place
- 重ね合わせてtaking (the both countries’ histories) together and … [重ね合わせる (to layer multiple things; to overlap)]
- 説得 persuasion
- 温故知新 visiting old, learn new [温 (to warm; to rewarm); 故 (old); 知 (to know); 新 (new); this saying means “an attempt to understand new things by studying the past”]
- 覗いたり doing peeking into (stores) and [覗い from 覗く(to peek into ; to take a quick look at); ~たり、～する (doing such thing like ~ing and ~ing)]
- お洒落なstylish; fashionable; chic; lovely
- 結構 fairly; quite a bit
- 大賑わい big crowd
- 雰囲気 atmosphere; mood of a space or situation
- 子供連れtaking children along
- 漂ってました (to be in the air) [漂う (to be in the air; to drift)]
- 清潔感 sense of cleanliness [清潔 (clean; sanitary)]
- (ぱぱぱと)しか見なかった looked only (quickly) […しか～ない (to do ~ only …)]
- 飼っていた had (peacocks) [飼う to have/own (animals or pets)]
- 野良クジャク stray peacock [野良 (stray); クジャク (peacock)]
- 時すでに遅しthe ship has already sailed [literally, “Time is already late”]
- 順調に smoothly
If you are not a member, please consider supporting us by becoming a member. You will get instant access to today's transcript as well as the latest Makoto e-zine issue, shadowing sentences, haiku lessons, Japanese tongue twisters, and much more.
Can you answer these questions?
Members have access to over a hundred podcasts with bonus content.
If you are a Makoto+ member, please click here for all the podcasts plus bonus content. Not a Makoto+ member? Please consider supporting us by becoming a member. You will get instant access to ALL podcast transcripts as well as the latest Makoto e-zine issue, shadowing sentences, haiku lessons, Japanese tongue twisters, and much more.
Makoto+ Members Get More
FREE FOR ALL - Limited to the latest 20 episodes
Member Bonus Content - All Episodes