For upper beginners to intermediates. Listen to the short podcast and then answer the comprehension questions below.
Omiyage Part 1
Yumi is going back to Japan with her family! This is a long-awaited trip. Soon they will be reunited with family and friends, but… There is something troubling Yumi’s mind. Listen and #learnJapanese #JapaneseImmersion
- 帰省 homecoming visit; going to one’s parents’ home
- うんうんうなるto moan (in pain or in discomfort) [うんうん (onomatopoeia that mimicking the sound of moaning); うなる (to growl; to moan; to grunt)]
- 夢のまた夢 a dream within a dream; beyond (one’s) wildest dream [literally, “a dream beyond another dream” which basically means “something impossible to happen” or “something impossible for one to experience”]
- 水際対策 border control measures [水際 (beach; shore; coastline; national border); 対策 (countermeasures)]
- 連絡が取れる to be able to get in touch; to be able to make contact [連絡 (contact; communication); 取れる to be able to get/to take (potential form of 取る)]
- 悩んでいる to be having a hard time [悩む (to have a hard time with something mentally)]
- 20 年ぶりに for the first time in 20 years [ぶりis a suffix that indicates a period of time that has passed before for one to experience the same situation. It is only used for positive circumstances]
- フロリダらしい Florida-like; Florida style
- 頭に浮かばない does not come to mind [literally, “doesn’t float to head]; used when one can’t think of ideas and such]
- 不健康 unhealthy; poor health
- どぎつい intense; gaudy; garish; loud in color [ど (casual prefix for “very”, “super” or “extremely”); ぎつい from きつい (intense; forceful; demanding)]
- 面倒くさい bothersome; hassle
- あげなきゃいいんじゃないの ？ isn’t it better not to give? [more casual form for あげなければいいのではないのですか？; あげなきゃcontracted fromあげなければ (if you don’t give); いいんじゃ contracted from いいのでは (it’s good; it’s better); ないの contracted from ないのですか (is (it) not?)]
- 分け与えてあげる share; divide out [分け与えて (to share); あげる (to do a favor of doing ~)]
- 帰り際に right before going home; just as one is leaving [帰り (”ます- stem” of 帰る); 際 (when; occasion); ”ます- stem V + 際” is “on one is about to doing something”]
- 何々さん Mrs. so-and-so; Mr. so-and-so
- 配る deliver; distribute; pass around; hand out
- 御札 やお守り amulets and charms [御札 (amulet); お守り(charm)]
- 気軽に easily; without hesitation
- いろんなとこ many places [いろんな (various); とこ contracted from ところ (place; location) which is only used in casual setting]
If you are not a member, please consider supporting us by becoming a member. You will get instant access to today's transcript as well as the latest Makoto e-zine issue, shadowing sentences, haiku lessons, Japanese tongue twisters, and much more.
Can you answer these questions?
Members have access to over a hundred podcasts with bonus content.
If you are a Makoto+ member, please click here for all the podcasts plus bonus content. Not a Makoto+ member? Please consider supporting us by becoming a member. You will get instant access to ALL podcast transcripts as well as the latest Makoto e-zine issue, shadowing sentences, haiku lessons, Japanese tongue twisters, and much more.
Makoto+ Members Get More
FREE FOR ALL - Limited to the latest 20 episodes
Member Bonus Content - All Episodes