For upper beginners to intermediates. Listen to the short podcast and then answer the comprehension questions below.
Return to Japan Part 1
Finally, Yumi and her family are in Japan! It’s been a long time since the last visit, and it seems things have changed. At least, at the convenience stores! Listen and #learnJapanese #JapaneseImmersion
- 片付け tidying up
- 一段落 stopping point (before the next stage) [段落 (end; end of a paragraph)]
- 復活させる revive; come back [復活 (revival; resurrection); させる (causative of ～する)]
- 真下 right under; directly below) [真 (prefix for “just~”; “right ~”)]
- 墜落 crash
- 大惨事 catastrophic event [惨事 (disaster)]
- 入国検査 Immigration clearance; Passport control; Immigration examination [入国 (entry into country); 検査 (examination)]
- 当てる hold ~ against [to put ~ on; to put ~against]
- 国籍 nationality; citizenship
- 実感 actual feeling; solid feeling [実感 (real feeling); feeling and knowing of something by a first-hand experience]
- 流暢 fluent (in language skill)
- 丁寧に thoroughly [丁寧 can mean “polite” or “courteous”, but here it means “thorough” in explanation]
- お湯を張る fill up with hot water [張る (to stretch); it describes the way the surface of water looks stretched out to all the way around inside of the tub. It’s sort of an elegant Japanese expression compared to お湯を入れる (to pour the water in), which can be used here.]
- 湯船 bath tub [船 (tank; tub; vessel); basically same as “お風呂”, but has the ambiance of old world]
- つかる is submerged; is soaked
- 揃っている have everything; fully stocked [揃う(to be complete; to be all present); (て) いる describes “a certain condition”]
- ～し、～し、 (揃ってますし、~ありましたし、) ~ and ~ and, therefore … [used when listing up reason(s) to support the following conclusion]
- 快適 pleasant; comfort; amenity
If you are not a member, please consider supporting us by becoming a member. You will get instant access to today's transcript as well as the latest Makoto e-zine issue, shadowing sentences, haiku lessons, Japanese tongue twisters, and much more.
Can you answer these questions?
Members have access to over a hundred podcasts with bonus content.
If you are a Makoto+ member, please click here for all the podcasts plus bonus content. Not a Makoto+ member? Please consider supporting us by becoming a member. You will get instant access to ALL podcast transcripts as well as the latest Makoto e-zine issue, shadowing sentences, haiku lessons, Japanese tongue twisters, and much more.
Makoto+ Members Get More
FREE FOR ALL - Limited to the latest 20 episodes
Member Bonus Content - All Episodes