For upper beginners to intermediates. Listen to the short podcast and then answer the comprehension questions below.
Return to Japan Part 3
What would it be the most difficult thing to do during rainy season in Japan? Listen and #learnJapanese #JapaneseImmersion
- お久しぶり it has been a long time [お 久しぶりis politer form for 久しぶり]
- 無事 safely; with no problems [無事に can be used here as well]
- ご無沙汰しております (I) have been away; (I) haven’t contacting you; (I) have been in touch with you [ご無沙汰 (long silence; situation in which one is not contacting someone); しております I have been (not contacting), which is the humble form for しています; the dictionary form is ご無沙汰する; a common expression to start a conversation or a letter after not contacting someone for a certain period of time. This expression gives a sense of apology for not being present in their relationship]
- 長かったようで短かった felt like a long time but actually was a short time [a common expression which is used when one looks back a period of time in the past]
- 総じて overall; for the most part; as a whole [総 (whole; total)]
- 老人ホーム retirement home; nursing home
- 歯医者 dentist [歯 (teeth); 医者 (doctor)]
- ～度に every time ~; each time ~ [“dictionary form V + 度に”; 度 counter for occasion, situation or occurrences]
- 記憶 memory
- はっきりしてきた became clear [past form of はっきりしてくる (to become clear)]
- 更新する renew [to renew (a record)]
- 危なっかしい seemingly dangerous; unsafe looking [an expression from the speaker’s point of view to describe someone to be not safe or not stable while engaging in some activity to the degree that the speaker feels worried about the safety of the person in action]
- 迷子になる to get lost [迷子 (lost child; lost person)]
- 干す hang out to dry; hang (outside) to dry
- 乾かす dry [to dry]
- 天気予報 weather forecast [天気 (weather); 予報 (forecast)]
- ～のうちに within (a certain time frame)
- ドンドンゴロゴロ (onomatopoeia) bang; boom [sound of thunder]
- 当たり前 usual; the norm; common; natural; common place [na-adjective that used to describe something to be natural as a matter of course]
If you are not a member, please consider supporting us by becoming a member. You will get instant access to today's transcript as well as the latest Makoto e-zine issue, shadowing sentences, haiku lessons, Japanese tongue twisters, and much more.
Can you answer these questions?
Members have access to over a hundred podcasts with bonus content.
If you are a Makoto+ member, please click here for all the podcasts plus bonus content. Not a Makoto+ member? Please consider supporting us by becoming a member. You will get instant access to ALL podcast transcripts as well as the latest Makoto e-zine issue, shadowing sentences, haiku lessons, Japanese tongue twisters, and much more.
Makoto+ Members Get More
FREE FOR ALL - Limited to the latest 20 episodes
Member Bonus Content - All Episodes