For upper beginners to intermediates. Listen to the short podcast and then answer the comprehension questions below.
Electricity is Wonderful
After the hurricane Idalia, Yumi will reflect on the importance of electricity in her life! Listen and #learnJapanese #JapaneseImmersion
- 直撃する to hit directly [直 (direct); 撃 (hit; attack)]
- 避難する to evacuate; flee; escape
- 出身 one’s origin (country, city, town; school)
- 平屋 single story house [平 (flat); 屋 (house; roof)]
- こもる to stay inside; to hide away; to be confined in]
- パターン (usual) pattern; (common) practice
- モーボーホーム mobile home; manufactured home [also called モバイルホーム]
- 自体 itself [自(self)]
- 片付ける [tidy up; put away; clean up]
- 置きっぱなし left ~ alone without attended; left ~ alone for a period of time [“ます-stem V + っぱなし” means “to have something in one condition for a long time unattended” or “to continue to be in one condition. ～っぱなし is often used in a negative sense (not always).]
- 電池 battery
- 点くto be lit; to be turned on; to come on
- 確認する to check; to confirm; to make sure
- 汲んで to get (water) and … [て-form of 汲む (to ladle; to scoop) and it is used only when scooping water or some liquid into a container]
- 備える to prepare; to make preparations; to equip with
- 買い込む to buy in large amount; to stock up on [“ます-stem V + 込む”; 込む means “to pack in” in this particular compound word]
- 避ける to avoid
- 案の定 as expected; sure enough [a fixed phrase. 案 means “expectation” or “idea”. 定 means “fixed” or “decided”]
- 不衛生 unsanitary; hygienic [不 (un-; in-; non-); 衛生 (sanitary; hygienic)]
- (火を)起こす to start/to make (a fire)
If you are not a member, please consider supporting us by becoming a member. You will get instant access to today's transcript as well as the latest Makoto e-zine issue, shadowing sentences, haiku lessons, Japanese tongue twisters, and much more.
Can you answer these questions?
Members have access to over a hundred podcasts with bonus content.
If you are a Makoto+ member, please click here for all the podcasts plus bonus content. Not a Makoto+ member? Please consider supporting us by becoming a member. You will get instant access to ALL podcast transcripts as well as the latest Makoto e-zine issue, shadowing sentences, haiku lessons, Japanese tongue twisters, and much more.
Makoto+ Members Get More
FREE FOR ALL - Limited to the latest 20 episodes
Member Bonus Content - All Episodes