For upper beginners to intermediates. Listen to the short podcast and then answer the comprehension questions below.
How to Count Rabbits
How do you count rabbits? Is it 一匹 ippiki? Nope. It's 一羽 ichiwa -- just like birds. Why? Listen as Yumi gives two possible etymologies. #learnJapanese #JapaneseImmersion
- 数え方 way of counting
- 頭 counter for large animals (meaning head)
- 匹 counter for most small animals and insects
- 羽 counter for birds and rabbits (means feathers)
- 束 bundles
- 把 counter for bundles
- 説があります there is a theory
- 生類憐れみ mercy on living things
- 食糧事情 food situation
- 一般の庶民 ordinary folk; common people
- 頓智話 story of a quick-witted person
If you are not a member, please consider supporting us by becoming a member. You will get instant access to today's transcript as well as the latest Makoto e-zine issue, shadowing sentences, haiku lessons, Japanese tongue twisters, and much more.