This is done when making promises with friends. (see picture above) Friends lock little fingers (pinkies) together and sing…
The YUBI KIRI Song
yubi kiri genman
“yubi kiri genman”
- 指 yubi – finger
- 切り kiri – cut; a cut
- げんまん gen man – [probably from 拳骨 genkotsu (fist)]
If (you) tell a lie…
- うそ uso – lie; a lie
- ついたら tsui tara – If tell (a lie)
針 千本 飲ます
hari sen bon nomasu
Drink 1000 needles
- 針 hari – needle, pin
- 針千本 hari sen bon – 1000 needles. [the 本 is used to count needles – a thousand 千 to be precise]
- 飲ます nomasu – give a drink, cause to drink [same as 飲ませる ]
(and) cut (my) finger.
(and we release our pinkies)
- 指切った yubi kitta – finger cut
The meaning of this line could be in addition to drinking 1000 needles, the liar will also cut his or her pinkie. However, more likely, it just means "cut" the connection of their fingers. As they say "kitta," people release the pinkie hold.
Like TheJapanesePage.com or TheJapanShop.com? Give Makoto+ a try! Membership starts at just a few bucks a month. Click Here.
kinda creepy ngl
Love that song.. I guess I will do that with my daughter from time to time. 🙂