For upper beginners to intermediates. Listen to the short podcast and then answer the comprehension questions below.
Saint Augustine part one
From beach getaways to historic discoveries! Explore the fascinating San Marcos fortress and soak in the city's rich history with Yumi. Listen and #learnJapanese #JapaneseImmersion
- 昔ながらの unchanged as old time; as it was in the past [a fixed phrase]
- 日帰り day trip
- ～ばかりの頃 around the time when ~ [～ばかり (just doing ~); 頃 (approximate time period; around the time)]
- 砦/要塞 fort；fortress [slightly differs from each other in definition but basically “fort”]
- 詰まった packed [past of 詰まる (to be packed; to be clogged)]
- 石灰石 lime stone [石灰 (lime); 石 (stone)]
- 遡りますと going back (in the history) [遡る (to date back); と (when; if)]
- 取り戻す take back; regain
- 牢屋 jail; prison
- 脱走兵 defector; deserter [脱走 (escape; desertion); 兵 (solider)]
- 投獄されていた were imprisoned; were incarcerated [投獄される (to get imprisoned); (て) いた indicates a situation or state]
- 入江 inlet; cove; bay
- 合流する merge; come together
- 狙い撃ち sniping; snipe attack [狙い (aim); 撃ち (shooting)]
- 領土争い territorial dispute [領土 (territory); 争い (dispute; conflict)]
- 翻弄された was trifled with; was tossed around
- 凄まじさ ferocity; savagery [noun form of 凄まじい (horrible; terrible)]
- 愚かさ foolishness; absurdity [noun form of 愚か (foolish)]
- 感慨にふけってしまいました was absorbed in deep emotion [感慨にふける (to be overcome with emotion; to be sunk in thought); 感慨 (deep emotion which arises from deep thought or introspection)]
- 目的を果たす accomplish the goal; fulfill the objective [目的 (goal; purpose); (を)果たす (to fulfill)]
If you are not a member, please consider supporting us by becoming a member. You will get instant access to today's transcript as well as the latest Makoto e-zine issue, shadowing sentences, haiku lessons, Japanese tongue twisters, and much more.
Can you answer these questions?
Members have access to over a hundred podcasts with bonus content.
If you are a Makoto+ member, please click here for all the podcasts plus bonus content. Not a Makoto+ member? Please consider supporting us by becoming a member. You will get instant access to ALL podcast transcripts as well as the latest Makoto e-zine issue, shadowing sentences, haiku lessons, Japanese tongue twisters, and much more.
Makoto+ Members Get More
FREE FOR ALL - Limited to the latest 20 episodes
Member Bonus Content - All Episodes